Kindie Korner Adventures

Phonogram Update!

on November 23, 2017

We did it!  We have been introduced to all of the single letter phonograms now!  Today the students were so excited to try to spell some words.  As we journey through kindergarten together I just wanted to make sure that you know what I am looking for in this regard.  Our focus is on hearing the sounds in words.  When students try to spell a word, and I can read it because they have identified a number of the sounds we celebrate that “they got all the sounds!”  I don’t focus on right or wrong.  There are so many spelling rules that the students will learn as they progress in school.  In Kindergarten we celebrate hearing the sounds in words and knowing which phonograms to print.  Today the students wanted to print the words lip, little, mitten and sandwich! We got a lot of the sounds and had a quick introduction to the “ch” phonogram.  We will continue to practice at school and your continued support at home will help solidify what they have been learning.  Try spelling some words together.  It’s really fun!